Saturday, 8 November 2008

Disney: Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel


Sleeping Beauty is one of my all time favourite Disney films! I have loved it since I was a little little girl and I think this is where I developed my search for a prince complex. Anyway the DVD re-release came out a couple of weeks ago and I bought it straight away. Special edition with extras of course! What I recieved in the post however was so much more than I expected! It came with a hard back book full of information about the development of the film with dozens of examples of the artwork from the pre-production stage and the film itself.

The design supervisor for this film was a man called Eyvind Earle and I am disappointed I never discovered his work earlier. His paintings are wonderful and he pays such a high attention to detail which can be seen throughout Sleeping Beauty.

After watching the making of documentary it became clear how much work went into this film over a 7year period. The high attention to the design of the film makes it so much different from any Disney film created before or after. I loved it so much that I felt inspired to blog about it. This also brings we round to my next point. Disney are currently working on a CGI production of Rapunzel. The aim here is to create a CGI film which has the look and feel of painted traditional Disney animation. I really hope they can pull it off. I am quite behind with the times here considering this test footage was released in 2005 but I am still excited all the same. ^-^ Although I love CGI films I do feel a lot of the art is being lost and its such a shame. I miss the feeling of traditionally drawn and painted films, like the ones I grew up with.


1 comment:

Wildhoney said...

I watched Disney's Alice in Wonderland the other day. I've loved the book for a few years now, so I supposed it was about time I watched Disney's adaptation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043274/

I really think you should give it a watch, if you haven't already, and considering you like Disney's animations. I fell asleep towards the end of the film, but that's because I was terribly tired, rather than the film being boring. Promise!

Although I'd still recommend the book over the film, as to me it's far more entertaining!

AdiĆ³s, amiga.