Monday, 17 March 2008

What I've been doing the last two weeks......

I wanted to upload something to show what I am currently working on.
The environments are taking so much longer than I imagined o_O Having to learn and create at the same time is tough but I think I'm getting there :)


This is the hiding place of the main character I have almost finished texturing these scenes. I just need to add more details like lamps, lanterns, snow, icy streets and maybe trees. After that I can experiment with lighting and such.



This is the second environment I've been working on, Tiananmen Square. I originally was going to hand draw this scene but then I really want to have my dragon fly over the Forbidden City gate and I figured the only way to get this right was to create this in 3d. I spent a lot of time messing around with the tiles and they are still a bit off but I think I'll be able to get away with it. The flying scene over the building is going to be very fast and probably not that close... lets hope o_O Need to do some camera movement tests, will probably get on with that next week
Just need to add a couple more elements to this scene aswell. Lamposts, snow, cars and stuff.


Another thing I've been spending WAY too much time on it my lantern. The opening shot is really important so I want to get it perfect and have been messing around with the hair tool in Maya to create the tassles from the bottom. This was my first test and the movement isn't really 100% right. I think the tassles need to be more stiff. I modelled this lantern pretty large thinking I could just shrink it down later to add to my scenes... however as it has a rig this is impossible :( So I spent a whole day last week trying to recreate the lantern at the correct size only to find there was hardly any movement at all. I don't know if it was the length of the hair or the settings... but I messed around for ages trying to figure it out. Yesterday I decided to have another go following the instructions I had written down for myself to follow. I figured they worked at uni so why wouldn't they work on my new shiny computer. Alas, I failed once more. I have no idea what is going on this time but when I created the hair it wasn't being made in the right place. I'm guessing it's my computer's settings but because I'm still such a noob in Maya I'm going to leave it for now. I've tried help files and tutorials but I still can't figure it out, I will have to complete it next term.

This is turning out to be the longest post of all time so I will go now. Will try update often but the Maya work is proving very slow. :(

1 comment:

Bas Hesen said...

I`m not entirely sure how you are going about creating the hairs. You can either convert splines to hair-dynamics or you can generate them from surfaces. If you are going to generate them from surfaces, you need to setup the UV-map first, since the spacing of the folicles (the strands) is evenly over the UV-map.

As far as everything you`ve accomplished sofar as a `maya-noob`, I`m really impressed. Keep it up.